Monday, April 25, 2011

TEACH Campaign






























































On April 20th I was honored through the Mayor’s office and TEACH Campaign by Mayor Cory Booker, The United States Secretary of Education, Arnie Duncan, and Congressman Donald Payne, for being an exemplary Teacher in Newark. TEACH Campaign is an initiative which hires 200,000 teachers a year and it’s main objective is to hire more minority teachers, particularly African American males, which currently only make up of 4,500 of those teachers hired.
I spoke about being a third generation Newark resident, having received all my education, primary, secondary, and college, here in Newark and then coming back and giving back to my community by teaching in it’s schools. I talked about my passion and joy for teaching and how it is such a rewarding, fulfilling, and gratifying career. It was soo exciting as well as a humbling experience to be in the presence of such great historic men!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!

    I realize that this is not the ideal forum for my request, but you as well as the followers of this blog are the ones that can best help my Hawaiian Youth Performance and Leadership Team get in contact with faculty/PTA of 13th Avenue School.

    Our team will be on a two week performance and community service tour through six states this summer. The name of the tour is called "Spirit of Aloha". Our team will be in the New Jersey/New York area from June 22-25th, and are currently scheduled to share two assemblies at the Ridge Street Elementary School on the 22nd. We hope to be able to do a similar performance as well as share some new books and special gifts with the students of 13th Street School as well.

    We have tried to make contact with the school through the email provided on the website, but have not had any responses. We believe our emails may have been lost, or sent to a spam folder unintentionally.

    I hope to hear from you soon or anyone else that may be able to assist us with arranging a free assembly.

    You may contact me through our website at www.nawaiola.com. I will also check this blog frequently.

    Thank you!
    Kaui Kahaku

    ReplyDelete